Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ethan and Alara


The room was brightly lit. Sunlight streamed in through the window, the thick curtains uncustomarily parted. Ethan sat in a high backed leather arm chair. His hands placed on the arm rests as he waited for his host to join him. The wait wasn't long and soon Alara joined him. "You wanted to speak with me?" the wizard inquired.

"I did m'lady. I had a request of you, though I hope I am not wasting your time."

"Of course not Ethan, and please drop the m'lady. Alara will do."

"Yes, of course m... Alara. The Hobgoblin Sinruth that my colleagues and I brought to Lakeview. I.. I owe him a debt. I once made a promise to him and though that promise was made with less than honourable intentions I've learned that perhaps I should be more careful. I seek to release Sinruth from prison here in Lakeview, however I don't wish to cause you trouble or embarrassment to your people."

"An interesting request and I will have to deny it. Sinruth has already been released from prison, however I will convey your wishes to him."

"Thank you Alara." Ethan made to leave, then stopped.

"There is something else isn't there Ethan?" A small smile appeared on Alara's lips, disappearing as quickly as it arrived.

Ethan leaned back in his chair, squeezing his eyes shut his mind began to race. After a few moments a smile appeared on his face, opening his eyes he began to speak. "There is, while in the dungeon I came across a note. It indicated I, or my companions and I, had passed the first test and were now Harbingers of Ixthul."

Alara laughed, "finding a note does make you a member of an order Ethan."

"Of course note m'lady... I just... it doesn't matter."

"No Ethan it doesn't, now why don't we discuss what you really came here for."

Ethan smiled again, "Yes of course. I have observed you, you have an mastery of the dark arts and a knowledge of death. I find that this fascinates and terrifies me at the same time. I have come to realize while journeying with my companions that I delight in the ability to deal death to my foes. I fear that if I don't take control of this urge that it will consume and ultimately destroy me. I feel that I need to focus my ability and I feel that the path of the assassin is what is best suited towards this task.

"I don't know why I tell you this. Only that I think you may understand where I am coming from and perhaps you can provide me with some guidance."

"Ethan, your path is your own. If you embrace the life of the assassin then there is one you must slay first. You know of whom I speak Ethan. Finish what you started and you will have begun your journey."

No comments: