Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Trust

Trust is a funny thing. I've never had much use of it until recently. I'm surrounded by new people, I dare say friends. However, trusting them hasn't been easy.

Take Larien, her beauty still enchants me. I thought of us as friends, closer in the way we battle than any of the others. Yet, she left our group without a second glance. On to greener pastures, the trust I placed in her was broken.

Jonathon is as devout as they come. However, in combat he often rushes heedlessly to save innocents. The result is that our group suffers as he's either to far for us to reach, or unable to come to our aid when we need healing. His motives are good and I don't fault him for that, but I can't trust him to be there.

Braddoc is as steadfast as they come. However, he has no patience and he swings his axe about in battle with little regard for others. He may have dropped three undead with one blow, bragging of his strength, courage and skill at arms. Olladra help me if I mentioned that Sterling, Nenia, myself and even Braddoc had hit all of them several times before they dropped. It makes me question his motives. I'm out here at Master Dourstones request, I'm not sure about Braddoc.

Nenia is an interesting one. She keeps mostly to herself and while I've benefited from her magic in battle she has shown herself to be reckless. She deliberately cast a blast spell that caught Delian in it's effects. This clear disregard for the safety of others makes me think I should keep a close eye on her, in case she needs to be removed from the fight lest she kill one of us.

Thinking of Delian, he's supposed to be a Paladin of the Flame. I look to him to be on the front lines of our battles. Yet when we fought the undead earlier not only did he not provide any information about how to defeat the foul creatures, he fought the battle from the rear. Throwing javelins, leaving the rest of us to take the damage from the foe. Though he's healed me many times in battle, with his heavy armour and formal training he should be in the forefront of battle, not the rear. I wonder if he's insecure, like me, with his abilities and that is why he hangs back.

Finally, there is Sterling. His resolve and determination are beyond reproach. I have learned that he has a deep understanding of tactics that I can't even begin to understand. However, when battles are over and we are recovering he never offers any advice. He had no words of reproach for Nenia when she blasted Delian. No words for Delian to move to the front of battle and allow his heavy armour to absorb blows. Perhaps he too isn't as confident in his abilities as he lets on.

It seems that each of my companions has great strengths, but also worrisome weaknesses. I trust each of them however, I need to be careful. I may have found a new family and place of belonging but, it doesn't mean I should let down my guard.

2 comments:

Braddoc said...

Great post Neil!

Ameron said...

I like how Ethan’s opinions are clearly derived from his individual point of view. Take his criticism of Delian, for example. The two things Ethan criticized him for were his inability to educate the party about the undead and his tactics regarding ranged combat over melee.

Delian failed to offer any advice because he flubbed his role and had nothing to offer the party. As for the decision to engage in missile combat, that was a deliberate tactic designed to get the most out of Del’s Divine Challenge which deals radiant damage.

Ethan could not have known the reason for either of these decisions but I like how he’s trying to rationalize the actions based on his personal (in game) experience. Great character development.